The Online Consumer Mediation Centre (OCMC), NLSIU was established as a pilot project in the year 2015 by the Ministry of Consumer Affairs, Government of India for a period of 3 years upto the year 2018. The Centre aims to provide for a state-of-the-art infrastructure for resolving consumer disputes both through physical as well as online mediation through its platform. It is recognised by the Ministry of Law and Justice.
Mission, Vision, and Values
Mission: To provide innovative technology for consumers and organisations to manage and resolve conflicts and to propel online mediation as a first choice to resolving consumer disputes.
Vision: To provide for an innovative online mediation tool that affords consumers better access to justice through quick and easy redressal mechanism and at the same time provide opportunity for businesses to maintain good customer relations.
- Easy accessibility: All consumers, having basic knowledge of Information and Communication Technology, can reach us to settle their grievance.
- Security: The Online Mediation Centre places highest concern for data security and the high susceptibility to interception in the online space. Hence the Centre is working towards all measures in a manner that reflects and respects those needs.
- Confidentiality: To ensure Confidentiality guarantee not only with respect to the mediation tool but also the neutral third party who acts as a mediator through the platform.
- Cost-effective: To adopt innovative web-enabled techniques to make the entire process of online mediation as cost-effective as possible for the parties.
- Neutrality and Integrity: Strict Code of Ethics to qualified web mediators to ensure neutrality and integrity at every stage of the online mediation and henceforth.